Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ended Up...

A few days ago I was reading an email from a friend. In the email she used the phrase “ended up” a few times. As this was an email, and I am not the type to edit or critique people’s casual emails (and I HATE we people do that to me), I didn’t say anything. Granted, there is nothing wrong with the phrase “ended up” it’s perfectly fine, it just happens to be a trigger for me. When I see it in books it feels very passive. I can’t really say why I dislike it so much, but it just seems like a copout. Show me how you ended up in whatever situation you are claiming to have ended up in.

It’s like saying: Ryan pushed me, and I ended up at the bottom of the steps.

Or you could say: Ryan pushed me and I lost my footing, went ass-over-elbows down the flight of stairs, landing in a heap at the bottom.

The second one isn’t perfect but it’s much more active than the first. So what are some of the trigger phrases, words or expressions that get under your skin when you read them?

5 comments:

Tere Kirkland said...

For some reason the phrase "I dunno" always bothers me. It just doesn't look the way the phase sounds.

I always want to replace "ended up" with "wound up" if I see it in print.

Sarah said...

I hate unnecessary similes. They drive me nuts!

Karen Denise said...

I'm probably not much of a fan of "wound up" either but it doesn't make me roll my eyes like "ended up-lol.

I feel you Sarah, and I hope I'm not too guilt of simile overload!

Sherrie Petersen said...

I was reading a book this evening and the author kept writing "there came." I swear it was on every page. It was making me crazy!

Karen Denise said...

LOL! I don't think I've ever seen that.
I used to do AS all the time, like: As there was no one to help her, she...
I realized quickly that I needed to drop that.