Monday, June 22, 2009

A Weekend with the Parental Units

My mom and stepdad were in town this week to finalize the paperwork on the new home they just bought in Dover, Delaware. They currently live in Memphis, Tennessee because my stepdad works for the military. Anyway, they came down to lovely Baltimore on Friday to visit with me until today.

My mother LOVES The Cheesecake Factory so we went there on Friday. Our wait was less than 15min! If you’re familiar with The Cheesecake Factory then you know that is UNheard of at that place on a Friday night. And can I just say, Avacado Eggrolls…YUMMERS! My fav.

Saturday…I FINISHED the second book in my Light Bringers series! Holy Crap! I knew I was close to the end, but with Ma and Pa in town (they hate when I call them that) I knew I wouldn’t have time to get any writing done. Fortunately, my parents went shopping and since I hate shopping (really, I’m like a man when it comes to that), they went without me so I had all day to write. Later we met up for steamed crabs—yummers again!

Sunday…we went to see Spring Awakening and it was AWESOME! I’d heard it was good, but I really loved it. It also made me thankful that my mother isn’t a prude. During the first act we’d already seen a guy masturbating during a musical number, and a simulated sex act. As we went to the bathroom during intermission, I asked my mother if she liked it. She said that she did. Then I asked if she was scandalized. She laughed and said, not in the least. My stepdad was a different story. I asked if he liked it, he said, “Well, it’s entertaining.” But he’s military and doesn’t function well without being fully briefed. I didn’t tell him what the play was about, only my mother. I didn’t want to say, “Hey, it’s a play set in the 1800’s about teens coming into their sexual awareness.”

All the same, I loved the play and even though it was Father’s Day, I felt like it was a day for me! Not that I forced my will on them. My stepdad is just a go with the flow kind of man, so he was happy we were just doing something fun.

I’m still giddy about finishing my second book. The ironic part was it’s the exact same number of pages as the first book in the series and nearly the same word count. I plan to let it sit for a month or so and then read it over. Maybe I’ll print it out to work on when I fly to Reno next month. Now, I can get back to all the reading I’ve been dying/needing to do. I’ve got a stack of books and zellie_bean manuscripts…I haven’t forgotten about you, darlin’.

No comments: