Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Rejection That Made Me Smile

So today I get home and there is only one letter in my mailbox. As soon as I see the golden envelope that I've addressed, I know it's from an agent and more than likely, it's a rejection as all the requests I've received came via email. Well, I open it and yes, it is a rejection, but it’s definitely the nicest one I've ever received.

Now this was not a reply from a request for a partial or a full so I was VERY surprised to see that it was addressed to ME and not, Dear Author. This is one of the agents who allow you to send along a sample with your initial query so I sent 3 chapters. This is what the letter said:

Thank you for giving us a chance to represent your novel, Light Bringers. While it is clear from the excerpt that you have much talent (really, there is some fine, polished writing here), we are taking on very few works of fantasy at this time. I'm sorry to say that Mr. Agent may simply be the wrong agent for it.

Truthfully, any rejection sucks, but this is the best one I've ever had. I especially like the part in the parenthesis! First time a rejection has made me smile.

No comments: